St Vincent’s Hospital is conducting a Randomised Controlled Trial of an online treatment for depression.
If you have diabetes (Type 1 or 2) and depression, a computer with internet access and a printer, and are 18 years or over, this may be the program for you.
The study involves completing 6 lessons over 10 weeks, at no charge for hospital patients.
Eligible applicants will be randomly allocated to either:
For more information about this program please call us on (02) 8382 1400 or visit us at: www.virtualclinic.org.au
More detailed information about this program:
This program provides clinician-guided, proven internet-based learning to treat depression. It is based on the principles of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), which helps individuals understand, manage and change their thoughts (cognitions) and actions (behaviours).
Your program will include several components:
• Lessons: The lessons teach you how to identify your symptoms of depression, and how to manage your symptoms using practical skills and strategies. You won’t be able to see them all at once – we will reveal one lesson every seven days.
• Lesson Summaries (the Homework): Each Lesson has a summary with helpful information and practice exercises, which you can download, print, and save.
• Emails: We will contact you either by phone or email in the first two weeks after you start the Program, then as required, and send reminders for you to do the lessons.
• Resources: We also have additional resources which include information that isn’t covered directly in the Lessons (e.g., information about medications), but which we think will help you.
• Clinician Guidance: You will be supervised through the program by a Clinical Psychologist or Psychiatrist. They will encourage you throughout the program, answer any questions you have about the techniques, and help you find useful ways to practice the techniques in your daily life.
Psychologist, Consultation Liaison Psychiatry, St Vincent's Hospital
Research Officer, Faces in the Street, St Vincent's Urban Mental Health and Wellbeing Research Institute
Ph (02) 8382 1662
Postal address: Level 4, O'Brien Centre, St Vincent's Hospital,
394 Victoria Street, Sydney, NSW, 2010, AUSTRALIA